Wednesday, October 8, 2008

rock me mama like a wagon wheel













As usual, Robert Hunter said it best: the wheel is turning and you can’t slow down, you can’t let go and you can’t hold on, you can’t go back and you can’t stand still, if the thunder don’t get you then the lightning will.
The subject du jour seems to be Change with a capital C, campers, and what better metaphor than a turning wheel? With that in mind, I am attaching photos of James Dean’s new water wheel. Yup, Jimmy got a wild hair this fall and constructed an electrical generation system powered by the creek. The technical specs escape me; I only know that it looks like a ferris wheel for squirrels. It makes a steady thumping noise, something like a metronome; I think Hamfist should record a song with the wheel keeping time. It’s moving mighty slow right now because the creek is so low. I can’t imagine what it will be like when the creek is at full flood.

No comments: