Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Call of the Wild

Another day, another hair-raising commute, campers. My car has been parked next to the house since Friday. This time, immobility was due to snow density rather than depth. It snowed and then rained then warmed up; all-wheel drive is of limited use in navigating cement. So, I had to wait until the road was frozen hard enough to be able to drive the car to the top of the hill. Solution? Get up with Sequoia at 5:00 a.m., bounce and shimmy up the frozen driveway, park at the top and catch a ride to town with my husband. I certainly could have made it out to town, but getting home in the middle of the afternoon would have been another story.

One of the nice things about commuting together is that we get to share the animal sightings. Last night we spotted a herd of about 25 elk in the hay field. This morning, we followed cougar tracks from the low bridge all the way out to the Colestin Road; big ones, too, the size of my fist. Wonder if the two events are related?

Well, it could be much worse. I'm attaching a photo of the aftermath of last year's multiple blizzards. We were hiking in and out for days.

No comments: