Sunday, September 13, 2009

News from the Subconscious

I dreamed of Arly Sue last night. In my dream she was about six or seven years old. No-one ever looked so sweetly vulnerable, so sadly trusting as Arly at age six. She had perfectly round cheeks, bee stung lips and dewy eyes that always looked like they were about to spill over in tears. In my dream she was curled up in my lap as I tried to explain why we were moving somewhere new yet again. As I told her all the usual lies about how everything was going to be great at the new school, she'd make new friends and we would have a nice party to say goodbye to her old friends, I watched her little heart break. She fought back her tears and struggled to trust me one more time.

When I awoke, I realized that wasn't Arly in my lap at all; that was the scared little child who is hiding in my heart, terrified of what I'm going to do next.

No comments: