Monday, July 19, 2010

To Thine Own Self...







When I was little, I loved a cartoon called Tooter Turtle. Every week Tooter Turtle would ask Mr. Wizard to turn him into some outlandish identity - a Wild West sheriff or a movie star or a lion tamer or something. Mr. Wizard would say to him (in a thick Nordic accent no less) "Oh no Tooter, I don't theenk you would like to be a sheriff." Tooter would beg until Mr. Wizard relented and turned him into whatever. Of course it always ended badly for Tooter, usually in a paroxysm of fine cartoon violence. When Tooter couldn't take it any more he would holler out "Take me home Mr. Wizard! I don't want to be a sheriff (or a movie star, or a lion tamer) any more!" And Mr. Wizard would intone, "Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drum. Time for thees one to come home."

All to illustrate that ancient, venerated lesson: to thine own self be true. We can't deny our essential nature.

No comments: