Thursday, September 9, 2010

Predator and Prey




















Driving home late Tuesday night, a big buck Elk with a full rack of antlers, 4 points to each side, was making his way towards Cottonwood Creek. I stopped the car to get a better look at him, rolled down the window. He lifted his magnificent head and, without the slightest quiver of a muscle, vaulted over a barbed wire fence and majestically stalked off into the night.

The next night, driving home late again, I saw a cougar cross the road in the very same spot, a flash of tawny hide that I thought for a moment might be a bobcat. Then my headlights caught him full on, illuminating the breathtaking size of him, that long twitching tail. I tried to angle the car lights to catch a better glimpse, but he slipped into the underbrush and was gone.

In the waning light of autumn, I am confronted by predator and prey. Can’t get more primal than that.

No comments: