Tuesday, July 5, 2011

And yet...

"It doesn't seem to matter how I live in the world, whether I'm kind or cruel, patient or demanding, ethical or dishonest. I continually encounter people who take advantage of others, who take what isn't theirs and make others pay."

It doesn't matter - except to me.

And that's the answer. It matters to me. I follow my own code of ethics, despite the fact that the world is unfair and filled with thieves and scoundrels. I try to live an ethical life in an unethical world. I follow my code of ethics because it is the right thing to do. To do otherwise would only make me unhappy. If I became one of the takers, no-one would suffer more than me.

I wish everyone held themselves to the same standard, but that's out of my control. This is who I am. This is how my mama raised me. Living an ethical life is not always easy. I strive to be my best self and fail more often than not. I rarely live up to my ideal. I'm getting better at accepting responsibility for those failures and trying to make amends, but the struggle never ends.

No comments: