Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Art and Money

Art is an essential expression of the human condition, one of the core characteristics that makes us human. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Art is nice, but money is serious business kids.  Money doesn’t lie.


Last night, I spent a whole bunch of money, way more than I ever imagined, on a PA for the Bathtub Gin Serenaders.  I could have spent a lot more; many bands do.  But I definitely spent more than I thought I would. It took me weeks to get up the nerve. After much research and consultation with a trusted expert, I waited until the vendor was having a big sale, took a deep breath, and pulled out the credit card.


I freely admit, when it comes to money, I’m very careful, frugal, cautious – oh hell, might as well own it: Cheap. Tighter than bark on a tree is how my daddy would put it.  Try raising kids on food stamps for a couple of years and see how “careful” you become.  I don’t apologize for it, but I do acknowledge that I have a very complicated relationship with money.  I worry about it too much and take it way too seriously. Poverty will do that to you, too.


So yeah, art schmart, but now I’ve put my money where my art is.  It doesn’t make me a better artist, but it damn sure raises the stakes.

No comments: