Friday, December 28, 2012

The Sisters of Mercy

Up, up from the ground - oh weary head, oh breaking neck
This is no longer Troy. We are not the lords of Troy.
Endure. The ways of fate are the ways of the wind.
Drift with the stream - drift with fate.
    Euripides, The Trojan Woman

Before severing contact with him six years ago, the last words I wrote to my youngest brother were, "Please seek professional help."  

My plea went unheeded: He committed suicide two days before Christmas. He could not lift his head from the ground. He could not drift with fate.

I pray that our mother was waiting on the banks to help him across. I pray for his daughter, who will bear his scars. I pray that he is finally at peace.

Oh the sisters of mercy they are not departed or gone
They were waiting for me when I thought that I just can't go on
And they brought me their comfort and later they brought me their song
Oh I hope you run into them, you who've been traveling so long.



                  


No comments: