Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Brer Rabbit

Words of wisdom from Laney today:  How long can the machine run on an idea that isn't true?

Good question, which led me to another good question: How long do I cling to that idea when all of the evidence clearly indicates that it's not true?

I'm like Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby; the harder I fight, the more attached I become.

I had forgotten how that story ends.  Brer Fox set up the Tar Baby as a trap for Brer Rabbit. True to form, Brer Rabbit swung on the Tar Baby and got stuck.  The more he swung, the deeper he went. But, Brer Rabbit had the last laugh; he begged Brer Fox to do anything, anything at all, except throw him in the briar patch.  So, of course Brer Fox threw him in the briar patch and Brer Rabbit was free. "Born and bred in the briar patch, Brer Fox. Born and bred in the briar patch."

If I beg the machine to throw me in the briar patch, do you think they will do it?

No comments: