Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Funeral Songs - Mood Indigo

Funeral songs; don't ask me why.  A stray thought emerges from the bubbling stew of my subconscious and spins around my head until I find a way to release it into words; thus this blog.

It's not like I feel like I'm gonna die.  As mama used to say, what's your rush, sit down and stay a spell.

Maybe it's because I'm up to my armpits in Arly's wedding and just sent out three graduation checks. Graduations, weddings, funerals, ceremonies to mark life's passages.

Maybe it's because I'm menopausal, a life passage that our culture leaves unmarked.  

Maybe it's because I heard Melanie's song Candles in the Rain the other day and thought, damn, I hope somebody plays that song at my funeral.  

Maybe it's because I'm an inveterate list maker. Funerals are all about lists: lists of children sired, jobs held, places visited. Long lists of complimentary adjectives intended to encapsulate everything that was good about the deceased; she was funny, he was so kind. As a corrective, I offer a different kind of list: a list of uncomplimentary adjectives that occasionally apply to me.  Feel free to throw them down when I'm dead.

  1. Verbose
  2. Obscure
  3. Pedantic
  4. Combative
  5. Volatile
  6. Suspicious
  7. Cynical
  8. Profane
  9. Stubborn
  10. Dogged (is that good or bad?)
Weddings, funerals, no matter. There's a little bad in the best of days, a little good in the worst. The bitter and the sweet. 

That takes me back to the Duke; Mood Indigo and then off to bed. Play this one for sure.





No comments: