Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Down the Road with Uncle Buck


According to my Uncle Boyd, Uncle Jack and Uncle Willie used to play this song.  Apparently they used to play with the Coleson brothers, Pete, Pat and Pig, traveling to barn dances in a wagon.  Pig "weren't all there, but he was a hell of a fiddler."  Jack played the guitar, I'm not sure what Willie played. My Aunt Amy played the mandolin, Grandpa played the fiddle and Grandma played the pump organ, but only "down to home" as they say. All of them sang out of shape note hymnals at church. 
 
Boyd talking about Willie:  "Willie and Buford Diggs were on a troop train some 'eres between Ft. Smith and Tulsa when they dropped that A bomb on the Japs. Never did make it to the war."

Talking about his twin grandsons: "Them little boys, they're a handful. Piss cutters, both of 'em."

I have no idea what a piss cutter is.  

He's super smart, very well educated, but that's how he talks.  I guess you cain't escape your raisin'. Listening to him reminds me of my mama. She worked hard to keep the country out of her voice but it always leaked through, especially when she was around the rest of them.  

They're a dying breed; well except Amy. She'll outlive all of us. 85 years old and she put up over 400 quarts of pickles last year. I asked Boyd what she did with them and he said, "fed 'em to all them damn grand kids."


No comments: