Saturday, February 13, 2010

Jake














It's my first full day home in the Colestin without Jake. The house feels vastly empty without him. He was a very quiet dog, especially in his last years, but he had presence. Those eyes -

I spent the day on the post-death clean up. I've been through enough deaths now to know the drill. Even our pets leave behind items that need to be discarded or donated, messes to clean up. We gave away his dry and canned food, washed his blanket and bowls, mopped his spot on the floor. There's always a sad finality to these chores and no joy in their completion.

He walked the earth softly did Jake. His presence was like a light. Even in his last years when deafness and illness slowed him down, he was always calm, attentive, present and willing. He was well loved by everyone who ever met him. I already miss him more than I can say.

No comments: