Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cyber-Etiquette

I’m taking a poll. What would you do in this situation:

A friend sent me an email asking a question. The question required me to do a little online research. I then replied with an email that contained the requested information and several pertinent links. I received no response.

Should this person have acknowledged me with an email saying “thanks”?

I’ve quizzed a couple of people on this issue. Most say they would have replied with a “thanks.” One person said that she never sends one-word replies because they clog up the recipient’s in-box for no good reason.

Myself, I ALWAYS say thank you whenever anyone does anything for me. If I didn’t, my mother would roll over in her grave.

I was sorely tempted to send one last email saying "yer welcome, asshole," but I refrained. I'll probably just let it fester, as is my usual practice. Of course, that leaves me with this residual bitterness. How do I off-load it? Part of me wants to call him out on what I perceive to be rudeness; the other part of me thinks I'm being petty.

Is it too much to hope for one small gesture of gratitude in this surly world?

No comments: