Friday, February 11, 2011

Snot the Unemployed Jester

This April, coming to an independent film festival near you, Laney's short animated film Snot the Unemployed Jester with music by Hamfist. We finished recording the score tonight. The film has been accepted into the "Locals Only" screening at the Ashland Independent Film Festival in April. This was our last chance to work on the soundscape before Laney submits the final version on Tuesday. Laney and I charted out the cueing then we recorded new opening sequence music with Jimmy, Joe & EZ. I chose Pachelbel's Canon for the opening, transposed to C and arranged as simple acoustic strings overlaid with accordion. There was some skepticism about my vision, but I think everyone was quite pleased with the end result.

This was our second recording session. The first session was a bit chaotic. I asserted more of my vision this time, took ownership, assumed responsibility. I'm always a little nervous about taking on that role. As a former bossy older sister, I walk a very fine line. The minute I start evincing any kind of Lucy Van Pelt vibe, people turn off. And yet, being an artist means advocating for your vision, convincing others to sign on. It's only the start of the process; you have to remain open to collaboration and reinterpretation, but someone has to drive the bus.

I drove the bus tonight. It felt like the right choice, but the end product will tell the tale. Process is well and good, but I'm a results kind of gal.

No comments: