Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bridges














Hamfist feels like a family. We all know each other well, warts and all, and we are emotionally invested in the music we make. When one person asks another to lay back or lay off altogether, there's a potential for hurt feelings. As a result, we go through elaborate psychological/emotional negotiations when building a song. Collaboration is a powerful tool; when used effectively, it creates a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. But, we need to make more space for the singular artistic vision. When one of us has a clear intention for a song we bring to the circle, the rest of us need to trust and support that vision.

I'm striving to be open to the honest criticism. I want to learn and grow. There have been times when I took offense when none was intended. Slowly, patiently, persistently, I'm trying to rebuild any bridges I may have burned.

No comments: