Sunday, April 17, 2011

Venusian Life Forms


There's a slow, soaking rain in the Colestine tonight and deep snow on the mountain for this late in the year. As much as I crave the sun and hate the mud, a wet springs makes a green summer. In late August when it's unbearably hot and dry, when the shortest walk ends with socks full of foxtails and stickers, there will still be water in Cottonwood Creek. The pools will be full at Queens Bath and I'll give thanks for spring rain.

I spent an hour floating in the hot tub in a steady rain. An old patio umbrella, provides some cover, just enough to keep the fattest drops from my face, but even in its shelter the air was alive with moisture. In the pitch dark, I lay in water breathing water and it felt like I'd entered a different realm. Perhaps that's what it would feel like if I were a life form on Venus, if only I could breathe sulphuric acid.

No comments: