Monday, May 23, 2011

Pick Up the Pieces

Sitting on a sidewalk in downtown Ashland, a grizzled, grisly road warrior was playing a slow, hauntingly beautiful version of Gold Dust Woman. Stopped me dead in my tracks. I almost chimed in on the chorus, but decided against it; I never know how those guys are going to react. Sure enough, on my way back from the post office I witnessed a bunch of bums engaged in a shouting match in front of the Black Swan. I couldn’t tell if my sidewalk troubadour was engaged in the fray, but he would not have been out of place in that crowd.

He looked awfully old to be on the bum, but he was probably no older than me.It sometimes feels like I’m heading in his direction. By 9:00 a.m. today I was ready to quit – not request mediation, not give notice, just walk the fuck out the door. Nothing like starting the week out right.

Is it over now? Do I know how to pick up the pieces and go home?

No comments: