Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Truth


Then Pilate said to him, “So you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.” And, Pilate said to him, “What is truth?”
Can’t you hear the world weariness in Pilate’s voice? The irony? The howling mob outside, the vindictive patriarchs demanding blood, and this man wants to talk about “The Truth” with a capital T. Pilate’s truth is that he wants a little peace and quiet. If Jesus's life is the price of that peace and quiet, it’s a price Pilate is willing to pay.
Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, the life; no man can come unto the Father but by me.” The truth is, Mr. Jesus, you will have to die before you can be born again.  Perhaps, as you suggest, we will all be born again into heaven or hell. But first, we all have to die. That's about the only truth I'm completely sure of.
Rob Brezny’s horoscope this week tells me that I should speak the unvarnished truth this week. He says that this is one of the rare times when being profoundly authentic will work to my supreme advantage. You’ll have to excuse my skepticism. No-one is interested in my unvarnished truth. It has never caused anything but trouble. 
What is truth? What is reality? It’s all semantics, right?  I spin this web as I navigate it. Just because I’m making it up as I go along doesn’t mean it’s not real.

No comments: