Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Long Road From There to Here

Thirteen shows between September 2 and October 2. That’s 13 shows in 30 days. On average, that’s one performance every 2.3 days.

Of course, I didn’t play every 2.3 days.  I played a lot of 3-day stretches, including some double days. But, any way you slice it, it was still 13 shows in 30 days.
What have I learned?
I’m stronger than I thought I was.
I’m a better listener, better at thinking first and speaking second, better at controlling my wicked tongue.
I don’t have to please all the people all the time. It’s OK to say no as long as it is said with courtesy and respect. Yesterday, an event organizer wanted me to set up my band in the direct sunlight on a 90+ degree day.  “Oh no,” says I, “that won’t work at all. We’re going to set up over here in the shade.” No blood, no foul, everyone walked away happier; well, everyone accept the event organizer, but I can’t please all the people all the time.
I’m a much better musician than when I started this journey; more generous, sensitive, adventurous and confident.  My skills are not in the same league as some of my colleagues, but I bring energy and joy to my performances. I can work a crowd. That counts for a lot.
I still have a lot to learn and a long way to go, but I’m a different person than when I started this journey.  It was an amazing month; difficult at times and always exhausting, but life changing. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

No comments: