Monday, April 13, 2009

The Swildebeast Speaks

Sacred miracles! Divine providence! I WILL BE AT THE COLESTINE!














Through much haranging, shuffling of schedules and priorities, begging, pleading and cajoling, I have been able to carve out the weekend of June 19-21 to attend the 15th Anniversary festivities. DogBoy was instrumental in this development - he has been working on me for the last month. Last week, he hit below the belt - "Matthew, we need dueling Webers for 30-35lbs of pulled pork- only we can pull this off. YOU HAVE TO HELP MAKE THIS HAPPEN." After a week of wrestling with my conscience and sleepless nights haunted with nightmarish visions of emaciated campers, staring longingly at the icechest with empty, hallowed eyes and chanting "pig bloat, pig bloat...", I sprang from my stupor, and shouted: "I will go to the Colestine, armed with a caloric arsenal of biblical proportions, and defeat the forces of hunger!" Cathy rolled over and told me to go back to sleep....

I remain resolute and undaunted. I will answer the call, and newly reinforced with batalions of Hog Island oysters treats under the command of Dr. Lovill, together we will prepare the Webers and sling tasty libations upon the assembled masses such that the Colestine Valley has never seen before. I am also working on new desert offering that will keep my dutch oven working overtime. God, it's great to answer a higher calling!

I may also be bringing my son, Patrick, up for the festivities. Patrick is intrigued by the event, and would like to demonstrate his camping and hiking prowess that he has developed through scouting, and join in the acoustic musical madness. He's also encouraged that there will be other young people in attendance this year. We're working through some scheduling conflicts on his end, but I am hopeful that these too will work out. We may also be visited this year by my brother Drew, who is thinking seriously about coming along for shits and giggles. I have also been in contact with Ed Willy (aka Crotchedty Old Man), and he is hopeful that he will make another appearance this year. Oh, how the valley will echo with the ringing of music, laughter, and oyster knives, punctuated with the occasional rythm of a raminated Coors Light and resultant belch!

I look forward to seeing everyone at the festivities. My Buddy and I will continue to work on the epicurean excess, and will provide updates as the plan unfolds. Come hungry, come early, come late, but PLEASE COME!

Your cohort in food crimes,

Swildo

No comments: