Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Darkness


This week’s question: how do I hold my darkness? 
 
I keep pushing it down and burying it deep, but the darkness always re-emerges, sometimes when I least expect it. It's real, it's part of me, it has something to say, something to teach me. It will not be denied.

Is it possible to hold my darkness gently, with care and compassion? With, dare I say it, love?
 
At music club last night, we got to laughing about songs with the word "Groovy" in the title.  Out of nowhere, Joe started plucking out the bass line of the Simon and Garfunkle song "Feeling Groovy." I sang the melody, Jesse and Joe layered on the harmonies, Jimmy noodled in the background. It sounded wonderful. What started as a random laugh resulted in an impromptu moment of ineffable musical sweetness.
 
I live for those moments.  The challenge is to live for all moments, good and bad, dark and light. 

   I've got no deeds to do, no promises to keep
   I'm dappled and drowsy and ready for sleep
   Let the morning time drop all its petals on me
   Life, I love you
   All is groovy
 
 
 

No comments: