Thursday, February 12, 2009

Anna, I don't think we're in Moscow any more







Cigar makers, early 20th century


It has been a long haul in the Tropics down at the college. We go into tech rehearsals on Saturday and, as my good buddy Beth Bardossi says, “we’re in the deep weeds now.” I came into the process 5 days before rehearsals started and we only had a 5 week rehearsal period so, yeah, I’ve run out of time with a lot of loose ends left undone. But I have faith. A lot of good people are working hard. I think we will create a few moments of beauty, maybe get within far hollering distance of pity and fear. Or not. It will be what it will be.

Making theatre with college students is such a strange and gratifying experience. They’re so eager and committed and serious about their craft, especially the ones who don’t have any craft yet. The ones who have been at it for awhile fall into two camps. Some are settling in for the long haul (grad school or a career), others are coming to the realization that this might not happen for them. They are starting to realize that the Muse is a fickle bitch. She comes and goes. I’m living proof of that, campers.

Anyway, if you find yourself in the neighborhood and want to see the show, I can usually get comps. Here's a link to the schedule:

http://www.sou.edu/theatre/annatropics.html

The moon is waxing on new snow tonight, campers. We finally got a little precipitation after a very long dry spell. When you live in the woods, you fear drought more than flood. In this instance, fire trumps water. As soon as I get through opening, I'll start floating dates for this year's campout, big number 15. Fire up the calendars and Katie bar the door...

No comments: