Thursday, February 26, 2009

Colestin Camp Out: Rules of the Road

Greetings campers,

Our good brother Tom is healing, praise be. He spent a couple of nights at our house, but wasn't here when we got home. I imagine he went home; he had cabin fever something fierce.

The Tom incident made me stop to think about – well, a lot of things. As Jane pointed out to me recently, it’s dangerous out here in the Colestin, especially for anyone in an altered state of consciousness. Alcohol has played a major role in most, if not all of the injuries that have occurred at our place over the years.

I propose we establish a Colestin Camp Out Code of Conduct and a rotating position of “Safety Officer.” I’m drawing inspiration from my experience at Rainbow Gatherings. Close to 20,000 people gather in a national forest each summer without permits, liability insurance or security guards, for an unsanctioned, unorganized public celebration . Over time, the Shanti Sena clan of peacekeepers evolved to resolve conflicts at Gatherings. The clan keeps a friendly eye on things and, when someone crosses a line, calls on everyone in the vicinity to participate in a solution. Their code of conduct can be summed up as: do no harm. With the Shanti Sena as my inspiration, I've started to create a Colestin Camp Out Code of Conduct and I'd love to have your input.

• I will no longer stock the bar with hard alcohol. Adults can, of course, imbibe as much as they choose, I just ask that we all self-police. If I observe someone who has overindulged to the point of endangering themselves or others, I will speak up, offer help, and enlist the support of others. I ask that we all do the same.

• The Titus bar and the fire pit are the designated smoking areas for all smoking activities. Cigarette smokers, please pick up your butts! It’s OK to throw cigarette butts in the fire pit.

• Please, no more than two degrees of separation for invitees. We want you to bring your friends and your kids’ friends (as long as they are under your supervision.) What I want to avoid are the friends of friends who show up without my prior knowledge.

• Buddy up if you hike after dark

• The NOs
o First, do no harm, to yourself or others
o No firearms
o No fireworks
o No drinking and driving
o No slip and slide; I'm retiring her. I've tempted the gods for too long

• The YESes
o Do what thou wilt (just pace yourself)
o Love is the law
o Speak up if something ain’t right
o Do it yourself

Here’s what I need:
1) Input on this code of conduct. Does it go too far? Not far enough? What should I include/exclude?
2) Volunteers for Shanti Sena shifts. I'm willing to wear the Safety Officer badge for a night. If anyone else is willing to stay somewhat sober and observant for a couple of hours during the weekend, let me know.
3) A commitment from all party attendees to care for themselves and others.

Last year, Pete and Louise saw a need for improved recycling/trash consciousness. They built the recycling center and a new attitude spread through camp. My hope is that something like the same thing happens with this code of conduct. I’ll build the structure, and the structure will increase awareness. Increased awareness should render it unnecessary.

No comments: