Sunday, February 1, 2009

Report from the Musical Front

Hamfist rocked the house at Stillwater on Friday and it was a stone cold gas. Sometimes I wonder what the hell I'm doing, playing in a band at age 50. Who am I kidding? But I must say, it felt incredible up there. I love to dance like a mad woman at shows and have always felt like the energy of my dancing contributed to the energy of the performance. On Friday I confirmed that suspicion when I experienced the other side of the equation, performing for people who were dancing their asses off. I could feel this incredible rush of energy coming from the crowd, waves of intensity. It felt like I was riding a current of electricity, twitchy but good.

My inner critic wants me to believe that standing up onstage is a symptom of self-importance and an inflated ego. My inner critic likes to say things like I’m making a fool of myself. I gotta slap that bitch around sometimes. I need to stop apologizing for who I am and what I do. I loved it up there on Friday. We were prepared, we knew what we were doing, and we did it well. The people in the audience loved it. Together we built something greater than the sum of its parts. It was gratifying as hell.

I absolutely do not take the experience for granted.

No comments: